Cooking beef liver is easy, but cooking beef liver that is tender, flavorful and juicy is another story.
It’s hard to achieve these goals because the liver is a dense, strong-flavored meat that can be challenging to cook properly. But if you cook it with the right marinade you can make it so much better.
In this step-by-step tutorial, we will show you how to create a marinade that will make you to come back for more. So, what are you waiting for? Put your aprons on and start making beef liver with us.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Marinating Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound beef liver
- 2 fresh bird’s eye chilis red or green hot chili of your choice
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Calories: 227kcal
- Protein: 30.9g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fat: 6.7g
- Cut the beef liver into strips. Finely chop the parsley leaves and set them aside for serving. Set the parsley stems aside to use in the marinade.
- Take a medium bowl and combine, chili, paprika, garlic, cumin, salt, oil, vinegar, pepper, and parsley stems. Add liver and mix well. Let it marinate for 30–45 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to 425℉. Put the liver pieces on the skewers and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve beef liver immediately with chopped parsley leaves.
Tips & Tricks
- You can cut the liver into small chunks, but we recommend cutting it into strips because it increases the surface area that touches the marinade.
- If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for an hour.
- It is highly undesirable to overexpose the dish to fire on a grill for more than 4 minutes, because the liver will become dry and harsh — you want it to be a little pink on the inside.
- Skewers prevent the liver from falling into the grill. But you can grill the strips directly on the BBQ without the skewers.
- The liver can be checked by the color of the blood. The color of a healthy liver is even, not too dark or light, without spots.
- There is a white film on beef liver, which can be easily removed if the product is fresh. Make sure you know how to clean beef liver before cooking
Not sure what to do with liver for other meals to get this ancestral superfood into your diet? Here are some other great recipe ideas: